Monday, August 06, 2007

Cost structure

Today marks the 5 month anniversary of the start of my trip and I just spent about an hour on the internet making a spreadsheet tallying all my costs so far.  I haven't broken it down by country yet, but I think I have a total cost unless I missed something.

In total I've spent $6,057, which at 153 days traveling is $39.59 per day or more curiously $.03 per minute - significantly more than I expected to spend...was trying to budget around $30 a day, but the cost of Africa & the dropping dollar conspired against me.

If I remove the various thieves that have stolen money and objects from me, $150 in cash & a $45 cell phone in SA, spending $45 to send a document express in SA that got lost in the mail, $161 from the ATM in Tanzania, a $50 cell phone in Ethiopia, and a $29 late fee on my credit card (this is  99% my fault, 1% the bank for not having an auto-pay option).  This brings the cost per day down to $36.45.

If I remove the flights I've had to pay for, to get only a day to day travel expense, that brings the cost per day down to $30.55.

Also have to remember that my parents treated me to the overland truck from Joburg to Nairobi, so that is 26 days that I only had to pay for extra activities and food...


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's up amigo? dude this is pretty cheap all things considered. If you're going to hotels and such isnt that a killer in terms of cost? Koglin and I are thinking about leaving and doing the same, but we'll prob pussy out

August 10, 2007 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am assuming you use internet banking.. If you send them a message and ask them to refund you because you are a faith & good looking customer & you are willing to do anything for them, they will most likely refund you. I have done it many times and it always worked.
It's Aug 13 and you now officially owe me $20 for sticking around in Kansas.. Respect.

August 13, 2007 at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home